25 Fun Facts About Aviation and Flying
You're here: Home > Articles > 25 Fun Facts About Aviation and Flying
Can you imagine life without air travel? Today, aviation allows people to experience new adventures, visit new countries, relax on far away beaches, build business relationships as well as to connect with family and friends abroad.
The beauty of aviation is bringing people and countries together.
How much do you really know about aviation and flying?
Have you ever been curious about how many parts plane consists of? Or who are frequent flyers and how many miles they have?
Without the doubt, there are so many interesting aviation facts that might surprise you.
Read on and add some fun facts about aviation and pilot profession to your knowledge list.
Fun facts about aviation
- Only 5% of the world’s population has ever travelled by plane.
- More than 80% of the population are afraid of flying.
- Every day, there are approximately 200,000 flights around the world.
- The 747 family has flown more than 5.6 billion people – equivalent of 80% of the world’s population.
- A commercial aircraft flies at an average speed of 500 miles (800 kilometers) per hour.
- The world’s busiest airport is the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, with over 96 million passengers a year. The Beijing Capital International Airport is in second place, with more than 86 million passengers a year. However, in the spirit of friendly rivalry, Chicago’s O’Hare is the busiest in the world in terms of takeoffs and landings.
- Charles Lindbergh was the first to fly solo nonstop across the Atlantic Ocean from, New York to Paris, on May 20–21, 1927. The trip covered 3,631 miles and took 33 hours 29 minutes.
- Tom Stuker has taken the term “frequent flyer” to completely new heights, logging just over 1.000.000 miles in 2012 all on United in first class. Tom Stuker’s 10M mile Celebration.
- In the 1920s, a plane ticket cost just $5.
- The world’s most expensive plane ticket cost Sydney millionaire Julian Hayward, an amazing $123 000, after being the first person to buy a seat on the A380 maiden flight between Singapore and Sydney in 2007.
- Only around 25% of first class passengers pay full fare. The rest are upgrades, frequent fliers and airline employees.
- “MAYDAY” is derived from the French word m’aidez, which means help me.
- Research shows that the first 3 minutes after take-off and the final 8 minutes before landing are when 80% of plane crashes happen.
- One the most deadly airplane accidents actually happened on the ground. In 1977, two fully loaded planes carrying a total of over 600 passengers collided head-on in the middle of the runway in what is now known as the Tenerife Accident, named after Tenerife Island where the accident occurred. Over 500 people died.
- Much of a plane’s fuselage is made of lightweight aluminum. One of the most damaging possible materials that can come in contact with aluminum is mercury.
- The oxygen in an airplane’s emergency oxygen mask lasts for only about 15 minutes.
- Passenger airplanes are notorious germ hotbeds. One study found that 60% of tray tables tested harbored the “superbug” MRSA, airline blankets are washed every 5–30 days. Dirties places on planes are: seat belt buckle, airplane lavatory buttons, overhead air vents, drinking fountains, tray tables.
- In 1987, American Airlines saved $40,000 by removing 1 olive from each salad served in first class.
- Singapore Airlines spends about $700 million on food every year and $16 million on wine alone. First class passengers consume 20,000 bottles of alcohol every month and Singapore Airlines is the second biggest buyer of Dom Perignon champagne in the world.
- Lufthansa is the world’s largest purchaser of Caviar, buying over ten tons per year.
- About 1/3 of your taste buds are numbed while flying.
- You can lose about two cups of water from your body for every hour you spend flying.
- There are many Paper Airplane Enthusiasts. World record in paper airplane flight is 27.6 seconds.
- One windshield or window frame of a Boeing 747-400’s cockpit costs as much as a BMW.
- KLM (Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij, meaning Royal Dutch Airlines) is the world’s oldest airline, established in 1919. It’s first flight between Amsterdam and London took place on 17th May 1920.
KLM – Oldest airline
Do you know some interesting fact about airplanes? Share it in comments.
More things for you to discover:
Top 5 Emergency (Miracle) Airplane Landings
Since the beginning of aviation, thousands of planes have crashed, but sometimes when an air disaster strikes, pilots can react on time and prevent the final catastrophe. The following is a selection of plane disasters that had safe landing. US Airways A320 landing on the Hudson River. The most famous and successful emergency landing of […]» Find out More
Attack helicopters emerged during the Cold War years when they proved to be the key component to victory in battlefield. Today’s attack helicopter has two main roles, to provide direct, close air support for ground troops and to destroy enemy armor concentrations (anti-tank role). What are the best attack helicopters? These are currently the best attack […]» Find out More
Shocking Facts About Plane Safety
Following a series of tragic incidents there is understandably a lot of fear that surrounds air travel, but nevertheless- flying is safe. Compared to other forms of transportation,j traveling by car is 100 times more deadly than flying in an airplane. Here are some of the facts about plane safety, you should know about, before you […]» Find out More
Plane Facts That Could Save Your Life – How To Survive A Plane Crash
Although we often think airplane crashes are horrible and unsurvivable events, the survival rate of plane crashes from 1983-2000 was 95.7%. You can dramatically increase your chances of surviving even severe plane crash by knowing simple facts and making little changes. Be prepared, but not scared. Things you need to be aware of You only […]» Find out More
Things You Didn’t Know About Aircraft Graveyards
What happens when an aircraft is no longer needed? Have you ever wondered where do planes go to rust? Aircraft graveyards often called boneyards are home to retired aircraft waiting to be recycled or reused. Dry climate The best aircraft locations for graveyards are places with dry climates because dry air reduces corrosion of aircraft […]» Find out More
Acrobatic Flight Maneuver Moves
1. Inside Loop/Outside Loop The Inside loop is the easiest of all stunt moves, it’s a vertical circle in the sky. Any RC Airplane with elevator is capable of looping. The Outside loop is also called a bunt. It’s an inside loop with the airplane inverted, so that the top of the plane faces outwards. It can […]» Find out More
What Is The Fastest Jet In The World?
The Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird is the most advanced airplane ever built. It had an important role in a history as a spy plane. SR-17 “Blackbird” is a long range, strategic reconnaissance aircraft. This sleek and stealthy Air Force plane is still the fastest plane that has ever flown and was never hit by a missile. […]» Find out More
The Greatest Air to Air Battles in Military History
Humans have always sought to take over the air to gain an advantage in war. Initially, the military uses of flight were mainly focused on gaining a bird’s eye view of the battle field. Early attempts saw the use of manned kites in China and Japan to spy for military intelligence and communication. Also some […]» Find out More
5 Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error
Did you know that 85% of plane crashes are caused by pilot error? Statistically speaking, flying is still the safest way to travel. No matter how the advanced technology is, there is always one element that is impossible to control: the human element, because human are prone to making mistakes, although the major pilot error […]» Find out More
Top 10 Celebrities Private Jets
Paul Allen – MIG 29 Fighter Jet Paul Allen, co-founder of the Microsoft has bought his own MIG 29 Fighter Jet worth 13.5$ billion. The MIG 29 has a max speed of 1,518 mph and a range of 1,500km. The Sultan of Brunei – Boeing 747-430 The sultan has a brand new, Boeing 747 for […]» Find out More
The Best Fighter Planes Of World War 2
It’s hard to say, what the best fighter plane of World War 2 was, but we certainly can say that a few stood out during that historical period. To make it easier, we need to refine it further, depending on different characteristics, such as: longer effective range, best high attitude fighter, damage resistant aircraft etc. […]» Find out More
5 Airplanes That Disappeared Without The Trace
“Every flight that has disappeared had its own story”, said the editor of the The Aviationist , David Cenciotti. Airplanes have been disappearing for decades, whether in remote areas of the ocean or mountain regions. Many planes have gone missing, especially at the so called Bermuda Triangle. A series of disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle […]» Find out More
How To Become A Commercial Airline Pilot?
For so many years, people have dreamt about flying. Many have tried, but wasn’t until the Wright brothers, that Man was able to take a flight. If you are plane enthusiast, you’ve certainly asked yourself, how you can become the next great, airline pilot. Word of warning Do not enter this profession unless you are […]» Find out More
Unusual Aircraft Designs We Didn’t Know Exist
Have you ever wondered how planes looked like in the beginning? Well, let us tell you, they were pretty weird. Many of them were built to prove a point or to advance the science of aerodynamics. Fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the journey of history’s strangest aircraft that ever flew the sky. These are some […]» Find out More
Shocking Airplane Crashes Caught On Camera
These are the most shocking airplane crashes caught on camera. Despite the fact it looks bad, people actually survived some of these plane crashes. Video shows these plane crashes: Air France Flight 296/Airbus A320-111 – 06/26/1988 – Fatality: 3/136 US Air Force Czar 52/B-52 Stratofortress – 06/24/1994 – Fatality: 4/4 Hawkins & Powers Aviation Tanker […]» Find out More
8 Most Terrifying Airport Runways
1. Saint Maarten in the Caribbean – Princess Juliana International Airport This is one of the busiest airports in the Caribbean. Due to the short runway length (7,150 feet), planes on their final approach need to fly over the beach at minimal altitude, and over a part of the fence and the road. Because of it, […]» Find out More
Best Rated Games
This sequel of well known game provides lots of new items and new mission system (150 missions). New upgrades and a lot of achievements. Faster gameplay and destroyable objects! Also, the big news is: Free falling is back 🙂 You can hold a space bar button to call self-destruct timer at any time. Enjoy your […]» Find out More
Air War 2 – Airplane War Games
The enemy has sent their best fighter pilots into our air space. You have to fight them back. The goal of each stage is to take out every single enemy. To do this, you will have to shoot down the enemies while flying around and avoiding their attacks. To control your fighter plane, use the […]» Find out More
Fly your airplane in this fast race game. Collect as many yellow stars and avoid enemy planes along the way.» Find out More
Take the stick and fly through the rings in Flight 3D Aerobatics. Try different challenges and keep your eye on the fuel. Have fun playing realistic controls.» Find out More
Skies of War 2 is about fighting against Enemy in Air and on the Ground. If you played the first edition than you already know everything there is to know. When you collect enough money you can buy a new Aircraft. Commands: Mouse for moving, SPACE for mini map, Buttons for Shooting.» Find out More
This game is played in turns like Chess. You need to outsmart the enemy aircrafts, get at their tails and shoot them. SteamBirds is very interesting game to play. Controls Mouse controls, with some keyboard shortcuts (mouseover buttons to see)» Find out More
Enjoy this classic arcade helicopter game. Destroy all the enemies and collect powerups. Have fun playing this helicopter shooting game.» Find out More
You need to occupy enemy bunkers. This game is played with mouse only..» Find out More
HELIC Game – Destroy Ground Targets
Protect your base and destroy the enemy. Enemies come in waves. Controls: ASDW or Arrow keys to move Use Mouse to shoot, left click to fire. SPACE to build and repair ground artillery.» Find out More
This is the extended version of a famous game “Skies of War”. You’ll start with Focke Wolf and enjoy more airplanes in this sequel of a post iron war game. GAME CONTROLS: Mouse – Move / Shoot. R – Make a full roll. CTRL – Helicopter hover-mode. C – Chnage Weapon.» Find out More
Potty Racers 3 – Fun Flying Game
Potty is back. Your job is to jump far, do maneuvers and more. Move with Arrow Keys» Find out More
Play this exciting strategy game. The Few Dogfights is a fighting airplane simulator. Direct the flight paths of your planes and defeat your enemies.» Find out More
Global Rescue – Helicopter Game
You need to rescue hostages and refuel when you’re out of gas. Arrow Keys: move SPACE: lower/ recoil the winch Z- drop chaff (when stoping missiles) C- Fire» Find out More
Play Super Pilot game. This is side scrolling-shooting game. Try to destroy other planes along the way.» Find out More
Launch your spaceship and stay alive for as long as possible. Use arrow keys to control your UFO.» Find out More
Explore the world of Future Race. This high-speed racing game will test your driving skills. You must select your driver and finish track in top 3 in order to qualify for the next challenging level. Upgrade your space hovercraft and earn money. You can choose between 3 different difficulty modes.» Find out More
Superhero Ben Ten have to defend the Earth from alien invaders. Help him and destroy all aliens ships, avoid enemy fire and be careful to not collide. Use mouse to control and spacebar to shoot.» Find out More
Heli attack 2 is about the bad guys in helicopters trying their best to shoot you. You can “return the love” with your own shooting gun. Simple game, move with arrows, aim and shoot with mouse. We also have Heli Attach 3 game if you’re interested.» Find out More
This is a very dynamic arcade battle on the island of Berina that is under attack from the evil Caelis Dominion. As you progress you can upgrade your weapons and defence. You need to bring down planes and ships… This is not an easy game. Instructions: Arrow Keys – Move. W – Shoot. A – […]» Find out More
You fight against Enemy in Air and on the Ground. When you collect enough money you can buy a new Aircraft. Commands: Mouse for moving, SPACE for mini map, Buttons for Shooting» Find out More