Top 10 Interesting Facts About Military Aircraft
During a history of military aviation there were some interesting events.
- During WW2, Royal Air Force fighter pilots started a rumor that excessive carrot consumption gave gunners night vision. The point of the rumor was to distract the Germans from RAF’s new radar technology. Because of this rumor, Germans began eating large quantities of carrots.
- Chuck Yeager, was the first man to fly faster than the speed of sound.
- During WW2, a single American P-51 fighter plane held off 30 German fighters from attacking a squadron of B-17 bombers for over a half an hour.
- In 1953 due to high speed a F-11 fighter shot itself because it was faster than it’s own bullet.
- In 1983, an Israeli pilot successfully landed and F-15 with only one wing. The pilot didn’t realize the extent of the damage until after landing. He stated he would have ejected if he had known.
- A McDonnell Douglas F-15 once shot down a satellite.
- The only plane allowed to fly on 9/11 after the attacks was a plane from San Diego to Miami delivering anti-venom to a man bitten by a highly poisonous snake. The plane was accompanied by two jet fighters.
- The Lockheed U-2 is so hard to land that on every landing,the plane is paced by a chase car such as the Camaro SS with an assistant “talking” the pilot down. Since 2001, more than a dozen pilots have suffered the effects of decompression sickness and nine were reported to have suffered permanent brain damage.
- 4 Phantom II was called “World’s Leading Distributor of MiG Parts” because it destroyed so many MiG fighters
- During WW2, while parachuting from a damaged bomber, an American aviator downed, a Japanese fighter plane by shooting the pilot in the head with his sidearm.
Do you know any interesting facts about military aircraft? Let us know. Share in comments.
More things for you to discover:
Since the beginning of aviation, thousands of planes have crashed, but sometimes when an air disaster strikes, pilots can react on time and prevent the final catastrophe. The following is a selection of plane disasters that had safe landing. US Airways A320 landing on the Hudson River. The most famous and successful emergency landing of […]» Find out More
Attack helicopters emerged during the Cold War years when they proved to be the key component to victory in battlefield. Today’s attack helicopter has two main roles, to provide direct, close air support for ground troops and to destroy enemy armor concentrations (anti-tank role). What are the best attack helicopters? These are currently the best attack […]» Find out More
Following a series of tragic incidents there is understandably a lot of fear that surrounds air travel, but nevertheless- flying is safe. Compared to other forms of transportation,j traveling by car is 100 times more deadly than flying in an airplane. Here are some of the facts about plane safety, you should know about, before you […]» Find out More
Although we often think airplane crashes are horrible and unsurvivable events, the survival rate of plane crashes from 1983-2000 was 95.7%. You can dramatically increase your chances of surviving even severe plane crash by knowing simple facts and making little changes. Be prepared, but not scared. Things you need to be aware of You only […]» Find out More
The Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird is the most advanced airplane ever built. It had an important role in a history as a spy plane. SR-17 “Blackbird” is a long range, strategic reconnaissance aircraft. This sleek and stealthy Air Force plane is still the fastest plane that has ever flown and was never hit by a missile. […]» Find out More
What happens when an aircraft is no longer needed? Have you ever wondered where do planes go to rust? Aircraft graveyards often called boneyards are home to retired aircraft waiting to be recycled or reused. Dry climate The best aircraft locations for graveyards are places with dry climates because dry air reduces corrosion of aircraft […]» Find out More
1. Inside Loop/Outside Loop The Inside loop is the easiest of all stunt moves, it’s a vertical circle in the sky. Any RC Airplane with elevator is capable of looping. The Outside loop is also called a bunt. It’s an inside loop with the airplane inverted, so that the top of the plane faces outwards. It can […]» Find out More
Can you imagine life without air travel? Today, aviation allows people to experience new adventures, visit new countries, relax on far away beaches, build business relationships as well as to connect with family and friends abroad. The beauty of aviation is bringing people and countries together. How much do you really know about aviation and […]» Find out More
Humans have always sought to take over the air to gain an advantage in war. Initially, the military uses of flight were mainly focused on gaining a bird’s eye view of the battle field. Early attempts saw the use of manned kites in China and Japan to spy for military intelligence and communication. Also some […]» Find out More
Did you know that 85% of plane crashes are caused by pilot error? Statistically speaking, flying is still the safest way to travel. No matter how the advanced technology is, there is always one element that is impossible to control: the human element, because human are prone to making mistakes, although the major pilot error […]» Find out More
Paul Allen – MIG 29 Fighter Jet Paul Allen, co-founder of the Microsoft has bought his own MIG 29 Fighter Jet worth 13.5$ billion. The MIG 29 has a max speed of 1,518 mph and a range of 1,500km. The Sultan of Brunei – Boeing 747-430 The sultan has a brand new, Boeing 747 for […]» Find out More
It’s hard to say, what the best fighter plane of World War 2 was, but we certainly can say that a few stood out during that historical period. To make it easier, we need to refine it further, depending on different characteristics, such as: longer effective range, best high attitude fighter, damage resistant aircraft etc. […]» Find out More
“Every flight that has disappeared had its own story”, said the editor of the The Aviationist , David Cenciotti. Airplanes have been disappearing for decades, whether in remote areas of the ocean or mountain regions. Many planes have gone missing, especially at the so called Bermuda Triangle. A series of disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle […]» Find out More
Have you ever wondered how planes looked like in the beginning? Well, let us tell you, they were pretty weird. Many of them were built to prove a point or to advance the science of aerodynamics. Fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the journey of history’s strangest aircraft that ever flew the sky. These are some […]» Find out More
These are the most shocking airplane crashes caught on camera. Despite the fact it looks bad, people actually survived some of these plane crashes. Video shows these plane crashes: Air France Flight 296/Airbus A320-111 – 06/26/1988 – Fatality: 3/136 US Air Force Czar 52/B-52 Stratofortress – 06/24/1994 – Fatality: 4/4 Hawkins & Powers Aviation Tanker […]» Find out More
For so many years, people have dreamt about flying. Many have tried, but wasn’t until the Wright brothers, that Man was able to take a flight. If you are plane enthusiast, you’ve certainly asked yourself, how you can become the next great, airline pilot. Word of warning Do not enter this profession unless you are […]» Find out More
Best Rated Games
Drop men into the cart below your helicopter while avoiding various obstacles. Parachute Retrospect is a skill game in which you must land soldiers safely from a helicopter.» Find out More
Help your paper plane in this simple but fun game. Avoid thunderstorms, enemies and other obstacles on your way. Be careful along the way of this flying adventure.» Find out More
Airfield defender is a strategy game in which you have to predict the enemy steps. Defend the city from the evil.» Find out More
1. Saint Maarten in the Caribbean – Princess Juliana International Airport This is one of the busiest airports in the Caribbean. Due to the short runway length (7,150 feet), planes on their final approach need to fly over the beach at minimal altitude, and over a part of the fence and the road. Because of it, […]» Find out More
Sky Machine is a game about The Wright Brothers and the first airplane. In this game they’re doing some trials with their new machine. The goal of the game is to get the highest combined score from three flying attempts.» Find out More
Play Zombie Alien Parasites, a free side – scrolling shooter zombie on plane, game. Customize your experience, use different ships, gadgets and weapons.» Find out More
Fly your lego ship using arrows on the keyboard. Along the way grab orange orbs while avoiding the enemy ships. Use the space key to shoot the enemy ships.» Find out More
This is the extended version of a famous game “Skies of War”. You’ll start with Focke Wolf and enjoy more airplanes in this sequel of a post iron war game. GAME CONTROLS: Mouse – Move / Shoot. R – Make a full roll. CTRL – Helicopter hover-mode. C – Chnage Weapon.» Find out More
Potty is back. Your job is to jump far, do maneuvers and more. Move with Arrow Keys» Find out More
Play this exciting strategy game. The Few Dogfights is a fighting airplane simulator. Direct the flight paths of your planes and defeat your enemies.» Find out More
Enjoy this classic arcade helicopter game. Destroy all the enemies and collect powerups. Have fun playing this helicopter shooting game.» Find out More
You need to occupy enemy bunkers. This game is played with mouse only..» Find out More
Protect your base and destroy the enemy. Enemies come in waves. Controls: ASDW or Arrow keys to move Use Mouse to shoot, left click to fire. SPACE to build and repair ground artillery.» Find out More
Heli attack 2 is about the bad guys in helicopters trying their best to shoot you. You can “return the love” with your own shooting gun. Simple game, move with arrows, aim and shoot with mouse. We also have Heli Attach 3 game if you’re interested.» Find out More
This is a very dynamic arcade battle on the island of Berina that is under attack from the evil Caelis Dominion. As you progress you can upgrade your weapons and defence. You need to bring down planes and ships… This is not an easy game. Instructions: Arrow Keys – Move. W – Shoot. A – […]» Find out More
You need to rescue hostages and refuel when you’re out of gas. Arrow Keys: move SPACE: lower/ recoil the winch Z- drop chaff (when stoping missiles) C- Fire» Find out More
Play Super Pilot game. This is side scrolling-shooting game. Try to destroy other planes along the way.» Find out More
Launch your spaceship and stay alive for as long as possible. Use arrow keys to control your UFO.» Find out More
Explore the world of Future Race. This high-speed racing game will test your driving skills. You must select your driver and finish track in top 3 in order to qualify for the next challenging level. Upgrade your space hovercraft and earn money. You can choose between 3 different difficulty modes.» Find out More