25 Fun Facts About Aviation and Flying
Can you imagine life without air travel? Today, aviation allows people to experience new adventures, visit new countries, relax on far away beaches, build business relationships as well as to connect with family and friends abroad.
The beauty of aviation is bringing people and countries together.
How much do you really know about aviation and flying?
Have you ever been curious about how many parts plane consists of? Or who are frequent flyers and how many miles they have?
Without the doubt, there are so many interesting aviation facts that might surprise you.
Read on and add some fun facts about aviation and pilot profession to your knowledge list.
Fun facts about aviation
- Only 5% of the world’s population has ever travelled by plane.
- More than 80% of the population are afraid of flying.
- Every day, there are approximately 200,000 flights around the world.
- The 747 family has flown more than 5.6 billion people – equivalent of 80% of the world’s population.
- A commercial aircraft flies at an average speed of 500 miles (800 kilometers) per hour.
- The world’s busiest airport is the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, with over 96 million passengers a year. The Beijing Capital International Airport is in second place, with more than 86 million passengers a year. However, in the spirit of friendly rivalry, Chicago’s O’Hare is the busiest in the world in terms of takeoffs and landings.
- Charles Lindbergh was the first to fly solo nonstop across the Atlantic Ocean from, New York to Paris, on May 20–21, 1927. The trip covered 3,631 miles and took 33 hours 29 minutes.
- Tom Stuker has taken the term “frequent flyer” to completely new heights, logging just over 1.000.000 miles in 2012 all on United in first class. Tom Stuker’s 10M mile Celebration.
- In the 1920s, a plane ticket cost just $5.
- The world’s most expensive plane ticket cost Sydney millionaire Julian Hayward, an amazing $123 000, after being the first person to buy a seat on the A380 maiden flight between Singapore and Sydney in 2007.
- Only around 25% of first class passengers pay full fare. The rest are upgrades, frequent fliers and airline employees.
- “MAYDAY” is derived from the French word m’aidez, which means help me.
- Research shows that the first 3 minutes after take-off and the final 8 minutes before landing are when 80% of plane crashes happen.
- One the most deadly airplane accidents actually happened on the ground. In 1977, two fully loaded planes carrying a total of over 600 passengers collided head-on in the middle of the runway in what is now known as the Tenerife Accident, named after Tenerife Island where the accident occurred. Over 500 people died.
- Much of a plane’s fuselage is made of lightweight aluminum. One of the most damaging possible materials that can come in contact with aluminum is mercury.
- The oxygen in an airplane’s emergency oxygen mask lasts for only about 15 minutes.
- Passenger airplanes are notorious germ hotbeds. One study found that 60% of tray tables tested harbored the “superbug” MRSA, airline blankets are washed every 5–30 days. Dirties places on planes are: seat belt buckle, airplane lavatory buttons, overhead air vents, drinking fountains, tray tables.
- In 1987, American Airlines saved $40,000 by removing 1 olive from each salad served in first class.
- Singapore Airlines spends about $700 million on food every year and $16 million on wine alone. First class passengers consume 20,000 bottles of alcohol every month and Singapore Airlines is the second biggest buyer of Dom Perignon champagne in the world.
- Lufthansa is the world’s largest purchaser of Caviar, buying over ten tons per year.
- About 1/3 of your taste buds are numbed while flying.
- You can lose about two cups of water from your body for every hour you spend flying.
- There are many Paper Airplane Enthusiasts. World record in paper airplane flight is 27.6 seconds.
- One windshield or window frame of a Boeing 747-400’s cockpit costs as much as a BMW.
- KLM (Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij, meaning Royal Dutch Airlines) is the world’s oldest airline, established in 1919. It’s first flight between Amsterdam and London took place on 17th May 1920.
KLM – Oldest airline
Do you know some interesting fact about airplanes? Share it in comments.
More things for you to discover:
Attack helicopters emerged during the Cold War years when they proved to be the key component to victory in battlefield. Today’s attack helicopter has two main roles, to provide direct, close air support for ground troops and to destroy enemy armor concentrations (anti-tank role). What are the best attack helicopters? These are currently the best attack […]» Find out More
Since the beginning of aviation, thousands of planes have crashed, but sometimes when an air disaster strikes, pilots can react on time and prevent the final catastrophe. The following is a selection of plane disasters that had safe landing. US Airways A320 landing on the Hudson River. The most famous and successful emergency landing of […]» Find out More
Although we often think airplane crashes are horrible and unsurvivable events, the survival rate of plane crashes from 1983-2000 was 95.7%. You can dramatically increase your chances of surviving even severe plane crash by knowing simple facts and making little changes. Be prepared, but not scared. Things you need to be aware of You only […]» Find out More
The Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird is the most advanced airplane ever built. It had an important role in a history as a spy plane. SR-17 “Blackbird” is a long range, strategic reconnaissance aircraft. This sleek and stealthy Air Force plane is still the fastest plane that has ever flown and was never hit by a missile. […]» Find out More
What happens when an aircraft is no longer needed? Have you ever wondered where do planes go to rust? Aircraft graveyards often called boneyards are home to retired aircraft waiting to be recycled or reused. Dry climate The best aircraft locations for graveyards are places with dry climates because dry air reduces corrosion of aircraft […]» Find out More
1. Inside Loop/Outside Loop The Inside loop is the easiest of all stunt moves, it’s a vertical circle in the sky. Any RC Airplane with elevator is capable of looping. The Outside loop is also called a bunt. It’s an inside loop with the airplane inverted, so that the top of the plane faces outwards. It can […]» Find out More
Humans have always sought to take over the air to gain an advantage in war. Initially, the military uses of flight were mainly focused on gaining a bird’s eye view of the battle field. Early attempts saw the use of manned kites in China and Japan to spy for military intelligence and communication. Also some […]» Find out More
Following a series of tragic incidents there is understandably a lot of fear that surrounds air travel, but nevertheless- flying is safe. Compared to other forms of transportation,j traveling by car is 100 times more deadly than flying in an airplane. Here are some of the facts about plane safety, you should know about, before you […]» Find out More
Did you know that 85% of plane crashes are caused by pilot error? Statistically speaking, flying is still the safest way to travel. No matter how the advanced technology is, there is always one element that is impossible to control: the human element, because human are prone to making mistakes, although the major pilot error […]» Find out More
It’s hard to say, what the best fighter plane of World War 2 was, but we certainly can say that a few stood out during that historical period. To make it easier, we need to refine it further, depending on different characteristics, such as: longer effective range, best high attitude fighter, damage resistant aircraft etc. […]» Find out More
“Every flight that has disappeared had its own story”, said the editor of the The Aviationist , David Cenciotti. Airplanes have been disappearing for decades, whether in remote areas of the ocean or mountain regions. Many planes have gone missing, especially at the so called Bermuda Triangle. A series of disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle […]» Find out More
These are the most shocking airplane crashes caught on camera. Despite the fact it looks bad, people actually survived some of these plane crashes. Video shows these plane crashes: Air France Flight 296/Airbus A320-111 – 06/26/1988 – Fatality: 3/136 US Air Force Czar 52/B-52 Stratofortress – 06/24/1994 – Fatality: 4/4 Hawkins & Powers Aviation Tanker […]» Find out More
For so many years, people have dreamt about flying. Many have tried, but wasn’t until the Wright brothers, that Man was able to take a flight. If you are plane enthusiast, you’ve certainly asked yourself, how you can become the next great, airline pilot. Word of warning Do not enter this profession unless you are […]» Find out More
Have you ever wondered how planes looked like in the beginning? Well, let us tell you, they were pretty weird. Many of them were built to prove a point or to advance the science of aerodynamics. Fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the journey of history’s strangest aircraft that ever flew the sky. These are some […]» Find out More
Paul Allen – MIG 29 Fighter Jet Paul Allen, co-founder of the Microsoft has bought his own MIG 29 Fighter Jet worth 13.5$ billion. The MIG 29 has a max speed of 1,518 mph and a range of 1,500km. The Sultan of Brunei – Boeing 747-430 The sultan has a brand new, Boeing 747 for […]» Find out More
Items are smuggled every day for organizational or personal purpose. There are so many reasons why people try to get something illegal through airport security, from animals to drugs and different dangerous toys. Here are some of the most ridiculous things people tried to smuggle through airport security in unusual places. Snakes in bras In Stockholm […]» Find out More
Best Rated Games
Play Super Pilot game. This is side scrolling-shooting game. Try to destroy other planes along the way.» Find out More
Your space program is taking off. Your mission is to reach the moon. Your space shuttle has limited fuel so, while flying, you need to collect the fuel tanks and money. Some ballons and planes are taking up the air space so try to avoid them. Controls arrow up- use boosters arrow down – engine […]» Find out More
For all the fans of Bloon Tower Defence here comes the good news . Our Mr. Monkey is back, this time in vertical scrolling game. And let us tell you something, this is even more fun 🙂 Upgrade weapons and blast the baloons of all colours. This game is addictiong. 🙂» Find out More
Fly your stuntplane through the rings in a fun flying game. Move with Arrow Keys or Mouse. SPACE is for power.» Find out More
The main goal of Liftoff 2012 is to save the Earth. Collect data, upgrade your ship and save the planet.» Find out More
Survive as long as possible. Fly during a war and try to survive all enemy attacks. Command the air battle.» Find out More
Play Take Flight 2 and see how far you can reach in the slow red plane that is running low on gas. In order to flight longer distance you constantly need to collect gas and also try to avoid manoeuvres that will cause speedy gas leaking. Play Commands Use your mouse to guide the craft […]» Find out More
Fly your choppter and rescue civilians. Complete missions and return to base. Finish all missions to unlock new levels.» Find out More
Skies are filled with aircrafts and you’re the pilot of a fighter plane. Land your enemy with a help of missles.» Find out More
Enjoy this paper plane game. The aim is to fly at least 10 seconds.» Find out More
Battle for conquering the sky. Skilled pilots are Winged Penguins. Become the best penguin pilot in this great two player game.» Find out More
Iron Maiden Flight 666 is a flying fun game with Iron Maiden music playing in the background. You need to provide local people on 5 continents with the speakers so they can become Rockers. The game has 10 levels and is one of best games ever made (editors opinion). Movements = Use Arrow Keys Turbo […]» Find out More
Clear Skies Elite WWII is a fighter war airplane game. Complete different missions and defend your planes.» Find out More
In Resistance is useless game you must shoot all alien ships as you fly through their armada. Fight for survival, destroy all enemies and collect gear. Try this easy-going horizontal shooting game.» Find out More
Heli Attack 3 lets you play the role of a commando who is bothered by shooting helicopters. Those helicopters constantly shoot missiles and try to hurt you but you’re not powerless. Quite contrary, you’re equipped with powerful weapons. So go on and shoot everything that moves. First level is tutorial-like so you’ll learn all the […]» Find out More
This level style racing game is easy to play, and great fun. Too bad it’s not a multi player but still, you might spend loads of hours going in circles trying to beat other guys- sorry- other rocket ships. Green thingys will speed you up, purple ones will slow you down. Career mode game is […]» Find out More
Shoot down alien spacecraft and fly over mountains and rocks.» Find out More
Flying steel is airplane game full of speed and action. Fly the chunk of steel and destroy everything that move. Fly your plane by moving the mouse around.» Find out More
Collect the scientists in your helicopter and deliver them safely to their destinations until the time runs out. You must land carefully because your plane might explode. Have fun playing this helicopter rescue game.» Find out More